Re: [SOLVED] Re: GCC-4.3.3 sillyness

To: Manuel Lauss <mano@roarinelk.homelinux.net>
Subject: Re: [SOLVED] Re: GCC-4.3.3 sillyness
From: Kumba <kumba@gentoo.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 21:48:48 -0500
Cc: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>, Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@linux-m68k.org>, linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Kumba wrote:

Yeah, I did some digging and it looks like we added a patch called "10_all_gcc-default-format-security.patch" into our gcc-4.3.3 ebuild. The patch claims it was ripped from Debian; can any Debian devs comment on whether you guys still use this patch and what the idea behind it is? I'm not sure if I'll find any discussion on our end as to why it's included without finding Mike (vapier) around.

Looks like Gentoo and Debian aren't alone. This was discussed on lkml because other mainstream distros are enabling it as a default as well, so the proposed solution is to just disable the format check in the kernel:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/2/4/259

--
Joshua Kinard
Gentoo/MIPS

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."

--Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic