Re: IP35 Origin 300/3000 support?

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Subject: Re: IP35 Origin 300/3000 support?
From: Laurent GUERBY <laurent@guerby.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 20:44:30 +0100
Cc: Linux MIPS List <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>, Debian MIPS <debian-mips@lists.debian.org>
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Tue, 2009-01-27 at 18:57 +0000, Ralf Baechle wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 06:49:10PM +0100, Laurent GUERBY wrote:
>
> > The wiki page:
> >
> > http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/IP35
> >
> > states "IP35 is not yet supported by Linux. A port initially targeting
> > only the Origin 300 has been started".
> >
> > The last edit of the wiki was in 2007, does anyone know if it is now
> > supported by Linux/Debian?
>
> No; the page accurately reflects the status of kernel development where I
> stopped.
>
> > Would access to hardware help?
>
> Only to a limited degree - the project has currently not yet reached the
> stage where access to more hardware would really be useful.  But before
> somebody dumps the hardware I can be convinced to give it a good home :-)
> At some point having access to more configurations will be essential -
> dealing with different configurations on Origin class hardware is very
> complex.  My current hardware is a single module, Origin 300 with
> 4 R10000 CPUs.

For the compile farm project I manage I was proposed a donation of the
exact same hardware (Origin 300 with 4 cpus and 2GB RAM). I'll let
you know when I have more information.

BTW, in the SGI/MIPS family, do you know what is the most powerful
hardware currently supported (hardware not weighting near a ton, more
like a workstation or a few U)? Bootstraping GCC takes a while these
days :).

Thanks for your help,

Laurent
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/CompileFarm