Re: Au1550 with kernel linux-

To: Frank Neuber <>
Subject: Re: Au1550 with kernel linux-
From: Manuel Lauss <>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 08:57:34 +0100
Hallo Frank,

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 20:40:00 +0100
Frank Neuber <> wrote:
> at the moment I run a on this core. Because of some trouble
> with the USB 2.0 EHCI controller (which is wired on the internal PCI
> bus) I am thinking about running a more recent kernel.
> It was easy to build linux- based on the db1550_defconfig using
> the mips_4KCle-gcc (gcc version 4.0.0 (DENX ELDK 4.1 4.0.0)) toolchain.
> But I see nothing on the serial console after starting the kernel. Some
> time ago (10 month I think) I was testing the head of the git mips
> kernel and the system was booting with some trouble on the pci bus but I
> was able so see someting on the serial console.
> A quick search on this list show me
> the last activity on the alchemy chip.

That stuff went in in time for 2.6.29-rc2, so it's unlikely to be the
cause of your problems.

> I just want to ask who is working with the au1550 on a more recent
> kernel than
> I'll start now with some early printk to solve booting problems and than
> we will see .....

I know of at least one person running 2.6.26 or .27 on a Au1550.
You should start by throwing away the defconfig ;-).  Create a new
config with only au1x00 serial and serial console enabled and then add
new devices one at a time and see where it breaks.

(Btw, which board?  I'd love to get my hands on other alchemy boards to
test on).

        Manuel Lauss