SPARSEMEM, HIGHMEM and the SMP8634

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: SPARSEMEM, HIGHMEM and the SMP8634
From: "Ed Okerson" <ed.okerson@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 10:16:08 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding :content-disposition; bh=X34Dr6X7H3h7ekOQDmaal5hKhXWF3J4/y6Qc8Mwk/B0=; b=l1zJX+QFk6T7CALLbGlPMZW8gRU9ync+RgIrDp5X7JMMetIY3fhVBrMXO4QBHdi58v gXYHwid/W5CXQdpWamRuRDkhzbeOBSyjehMqky3wx5WUAOrZJKCSuVtLx+i7m5oCgOXL /qqSB/RLzhb2ztMmD1lOBceae2YC7my1AN3U8=
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
I am having great difficulty trying to get memory allocation from
DRAM1 on the Sigma SMP8634.  It seems that some hybrid between
SPARSEMEM and HIGHMEM would be needed.  I have read all the previous
threads on this topic, but it appears no one has been successful yet.

I am working with the 2.6.22.19 kernel (latest release from Sigma).
At this point, I have it kinda recognizing the memory:

On node 0 totalpages: 31712
  DMA zone: 1024 pages used for memmap
  DMA zone: 0 pages reserved
  DMA zone: 22496 pages, LIFO batch:3
  Normal zone: 0 pages used for memmap
  HighMem zone: 256 pages used for memmap
  HighMem zone: 7936 pages, LIFO batch:0
Built 1 zonelists.  Total pages: 30432

But the memory output from the end of mem_init() does not show it:

Memory: 82432k/94080k available (2856k kernel code, 11604k reserved,
468k data, 5932k init, 0k highmem)

On the kernel command line I am passing:

mem=92M mem=32M@0x26000000

Which, as I understand it, should give me 32M out of the bottom of the
128M on bank DRAM1.  The output of 'free' also does not indicate any
more memory than if I just pass 'mem=92M' to the kernel.

So what needs to be done to get the high memory added to usable
memory?  I think I have gone beyond my understanding of memory
management.  If the memory is in fact available, how can I tell, and
how can it be allocated for user space programs?

Ed Okerson