Re: Defconfigs and RTC

To: Ralf Baechle <>
Subject: Re: Defconfigs and RTC
From: "tiejun.chen" <>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 09:32:01 +0800
Ralf Baechle wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 01, 2008 at 04:50:14PM +0800, tiejun.chen wrote:
>> Ralf Baechle wrote:
>>> Quite a few of the defconfigs have not been updated for quite some time
>>> and are beginning to be a bit useless.  Also since we switched to RTC_LIB
>>> quite a few systems no longer read their RTCs on bootup so their
>>> defconfigs should be updated to enable RTC_CLASS and CONFIG_RTC_HCTOSYS.
>>> A hand full of systems is still using read_persistent_clock() to read
>>> the RTC on bootup.  The use of this function should preferably be replaced
>> Can we use RTC_CLASS option directly to replace RTC_LIB on the file,
>> arch/mips/Kconfig by default? If so all deconfigs may not be modified.
> RTC_CLASS implies RTC_LIB.  It's not a replacement.

I meas if we use directly RTC_CLASS on the file, arch/mips/Kconfig, as the
config MIPS
        default y
        select HAVE_IDE
        select HAVE_OPROFILE
        select HAVE_ARCH_KGDB
        # Horrible source of confusion.  Die, die, die ...
        select EMBEDDED
        select RTC_LIB --> RTC_CLASS

If so RTC_Class and RTC_HCTOSYS options will be enabled for all platforms by
default as you expect. I think it will be given a hint for the developers that
they should develop their RTC towards supporting RTC_CLASS in the future, not
other choices. And it may be helpful to have an unified RTC mode quickly.

Thanks & Best Regards