stop_this_cpu - redundant code?

To: <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>, "Ralf Baechle" <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Subject: stop_this_cpu - redundant code?
From: "Anirban Sinha" <ASinha@zeugmasystems.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 19:57:12 -0700
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org

Hi All:

This function  (stop_this_cpu) in /arch/mips/kernel/smp.c does a local_irq_enable() and the adjacent comment says that it’s because it may need to service _machine_restart IPI. Unfortunately, smp_call_function only sends IPIs to cores that are still online ( it uses the cpu_online_map U all_but_myself_map in smp_call_function_map()).

So the bottom-line is, should we still keep the local irqs enabled or is this code totally redundant? I have seen other similar functions in other archs where they actually disable the local irqs.

Cheers,

Ani