stop_this_cpu - redundant code?

To: <>, "Ralf Baechle" <>
Subject: stop_this_cpu - redundant code?
From: "Anirban Sinha" <>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 19:57:12 -0700

Hi All:

This function  (stop_this_cpu) in /arch/mips/kernel/smp.c does a local_irq_enable() and the adjacent comment says that it’s because it may need to service _machine_restart IPI. Unfortunately, smp_call_function only sends IPIs to cores that are still online ( it uses the cpu_online_map U all_but_myself_map in smp_call_function_map()).

So the bottom-line is, should we still keep the local irqs enabled or is this code totally redundant? I have seen other similar functions in other archs where they actually disable the local irqs.