Re: MIPS checksum bug

To: Ralf Baechle <>
Subject: Re: MIPS checksum bug
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 11:12:22 +0100 (BST)
Cc: Atsushi Nemoto <>,,
On Fri, 19 Sep 2008, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> Which is a truely weird operation - but MIPS R2 happens to have a wonderful
> instruction for this operation, WSBH / DSBH.

 Ah, finally a justification for the R2 ISA!

 Seriously though, I smell a caller somewhere fails to call csum_fold() on
the result obtained from csum_partial() where it should, so it would be
good to fix the bug rather than trying to cover it.  Bryan, would you be
able to track down the caller?

 I can see you have done the microoptimisation I had in mind meanwhile --
thanks for saving me the effort. ;)  There is a delay slot to fill left
though -- will you take care of it too?