Re: [MIPS] msp71xx: resolve compilation problem in msp_setup.c

To: "Patrick Glass" <Patrick_Glass@pmc-sierra.com>
Subject: Re: [MIPS] msp71xx: resolve compilation problem in msp_setup.c
From: "Shane McDonald" <mcdonald.shane@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 17:22:48 -0600
Cc: "Ralf Baechle" <ralf@linux-mips.org>, linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=f6EMGe3+QDaXNeszJzVpXb8KrK4xkEcNLLyQoNA8RXE=; b=TCmh5q2ONuOz52DFhBaXyvauO0bUpPkJw4DhcvUk4bCZGdCslA82lHfMCLoPqzb7o/ EJN+zJzpAKSq3FgJpjLP9kQg/pFOffzqD9rF7nsM4lM+Fx0dL/C1cVbwvGir4VjIw58H 2aq4AAo2ykqr1ufcwJyQTGkNvyh1GSnF/0sxs=
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Hi Patrick:

  I'm good with replacing the msp_setup patch that I had I submitted.

  Do you also have a patch to replace the plat_timer_setup function definition in msp_time.c?  If these two problems are resolved, the msp71xx_defconfig will finally compile.

Shane McDonald

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 5:11 PM, Patrick Glass <Patrick_Glass@pmc-sierra.com> wrote:
>On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 11:51:48AM -0600, Shane McDonald wrote:
>> From: Shane McDonald <mcdonald.shane@gmail.com>
>> Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 11:51:48 -0600
>> To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org, ralf@linux-mips.org
>> Subject: [MIPS] msp71xx: resolve compilation problem in msp_setup.c
>>
>> The msp71xx_defconfig has never compiled in a kernel release.  This
is
>> because the file msp_setup.c relies on some definitions from the
>> PMCMSP GPIO driver, which has not yet been accepted into the kernel.
>> This patch checks for the existence of the PMCMSP GPIO driver; if it
>> doesn't exist, no GPIO functions are referenced.
>>
>> This patch will continue to work after the GPIO driver has been
>> accepted, so no changes will be necessary when that happens.
>
>Has the driver actually been submitted?  In its current form I doubt
it'll be accepted since
>there is now a generic GPIO framework so there should be no more new
drivers/char/ GPIO
>drivers.
>
>  Ralf

Hi,
I have attempted to submit a new patch for msp71xx which enables gpio
access through the new gpio framework. Hopefully it should propogate
throught the list soon... if I have not messed up (It's my first patch
for linux-mips). Also we have a newer msp_setup that removes the gpio
calls altogether. I will cleanup our msp_setup.c file and create a new
patch that can replace this patch if that's ok with you.

Thanks,
Patrick Glass