Re: missing compat_sys_ptrace conversions for mips and parisc

To: Christoph Hellwig <>, Kyle McMartin <>
Subject: Re: missing compat_sys_ptrace conversions for mips and parisc
From: Helge Deller <>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 13:14:34 +0200
Christoph Hellwig wrote:
Currently mips and parisc are the only architectures not yet converted
to the generic compat_sys_ptrace.  The conversion is rather trivial and
only involves splitting the current compat_ptrace handler into a
compat_arch_ptrace with all the meat and the existing compat_sys_ptrace
that does all the boilerplate code, just like the generic sys_ptrace.
To get the generic compat_sys_ptrace you have to add a

to ptrace.h for now, but once mips and parisc are converted this will of
course be removed.  Take a look at the powerpc conversion as an example:

I could take care of this for parisc. Just looked into the code and it seems it could cleanup the code nicely as well.

But I don't want to step on Kyle's toe, since I assume he prepares the asm-parisc/ move in the parisc-2.6 git tree during the next days.

Kyle: any comments? Should I prepare some patches? Or do you want to take care of the compat_sys_ptrace yourself?