Re: sparsemem support for mips with highmem

To: Dave Hansen <dave@linux.vnet.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: sparsemem support for mips with highmem
From: tsbogend@alpha.franken.de (Thomas Bogendoerfer)
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 18:30:20 +0200
Cc: C Michael Sundius <Michael.sundius@sciatl.com>, linux-mm@kvack.org, linux-mips@linux-mips.org, jfraser@broadcom.com, Andy Whitcroft <apw@shadowen.org>
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 08:48:19AM -0700, Dave Hansen wrote:
> My guess would be that Michael knew that his 32-bit MIPS platform only
> ever has 2GB of memory.

that's the point, which isn't quite correct. It's possible for
a 32bit MIPS system to address 4GB of memory (minus IO). That's
one case where the 31bits don't fit, the other case is a 64bit CPU
running a 32 bit kernel (CONFIG_64BIT selects whether it's a 32bit or
64bit kernel). I'm not whether it's worth to cover both cases, but it's
more restrictive than it's without that change.

Thomas.

--
Crap can work. Given enough thrust pigs will fly, but it's not necessary a
good idea.                                                [ RFC1925, 2.3 ]