Re: sparsemem support for mips with highmem

To: Dave Hansen <>
Subject: Re: sparsemem support for mips with highmem
From: (Thomas Bogendoerfer)
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 18:30:20 +0200
Cc: C Michael Sundius <>,,,, Andy Whitcroft <>
On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 08:48:19AM -0700, Dave Hansen wrote:
> My guess would be that Michael knew that his 32-bit MIPS platform only
> ever has 2GB of memory.

that's the point, which isn't quite correct. It's possible for
a 32bit MIPS system to address 4GB of memory (minus IO). That's
one case where the 31bits don't fit, the other case is a 64bit CPU
running a 32 bit kernel (CONFIG_64BIT selects whether it's a 32bit or
64bit kernel). I'm not whether it's worth to cover both cases, but it's
more restrictive than it's without that change.

Crap can work. Given enough thrust pigs will fly, but it's not necessary a
good idea.                                                [ RFC1925, 2.3 ]