Re: Debugging the MIPS processor using GDB

To: TriKri <kristoferkrus@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Debugging the MIPS processor using GDB
From: Martin Gebert <martin.gebert@alpha-bit.de>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 16:14:22 +0200
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org

Finally, there's a program called gdbserver, which comes with GDB. If I
write a remote stub, do I need this program? Where should it be run? Where
should my program be run? Since the stub is a c file, but lacks of a main
function, how do I compile it?

At least this I can answer. In short, you need to call gdbserver on your target machine in order to do remote debugging from your workstation. The first Google match for "using gdbserver" reveals this:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/gdb/server.html

HTH

Martin