Committed_AS showing erroneous value

To: <>
Subject: Committed_AS showing erroneous value
From: "Anirban Sinha" <>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 17:38:54 -0700

On our mips hardware, we see an unusual issue with the /proc/meminfo
stats. We do disable memory over commit and do not configure swap. We
are observing that the Committed_AS value is smaller than the amount of
used resident memory. For example:

root:1@13.Zeugma:~# cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:       965168 kB
MemFree:        920108 kB
CommitLimit:    965168 kB
Committed_AS:     5540 kB

Amount of memory used is: 965168-920108 = 44 Megs. However, committed
memory is just 5 megs. This is wrong. Does anybody else get a similar
error? Our 64 bit kernel version is on which we run 32 bit apps
(n32 ABI).

Thanks to anyone who can throw some lights.