Re: HOWTO submit patches using WebMail - Help appreciated?

To: "Daniel Laird" <daniel.j.laird@nxp.com>
Subject: Re: HOWTO submit patches using WebMail - Help appreciated?
From: Brian Foster <brian.foster@innova-card.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 15:28:40 +0200
Cc: "Ralf Baechle" <ralf@linux-mips.org>, linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:from:reply-to:to:subject:date :user-agent:cc:references:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:message-id:sender; bh=ytVBFJh5dEPNfuS0kR7ghxNpGs7IbXJ6GGYNUa8tJLE=; b=NlJ1e7PPU7h6wMy78S1S5Hw63Q7/1hlOuX6OOMxRKMDzCCNiHnkYo86t9qgr3w27qK knQmW8H5OpvtVrMkTa29EmhrfJpk0XiGANT5I6WjWZiFFSargZJ8TDfcCV+Jz9XttPq9 rJw3DPWYmftHVVKdPGFGPj01n+/LqsGhEVaHU=
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=from:reply-to:to:subject:date:user-agent:cc:references:in-reply-to :mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding :content-disposition:message-id:sender; b=GG/prTsKWK420mpiWePP3DrF9oMIHjCBUsh28e7jXLNNd+hnLElQd4omprLFnbcHi5 u03aH1hPLY8e69+oj3Fk6v41d+qH3SWjofeTo73KZB2EKcVI/9InXPDZEte7mqM0XYMI 3avSGCh1BtrvjC3PJyrgsGiNOAfrBdF7fDAuM=
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Thursday 17 July 2008 21:59:45 Daniel Laird wrote:

> I am having issues getting patches to the mailing list in a format
> that seems to be acceptable.
> I have done all I can to the patch itself but I am having mail client
> issues as well.
> I have tried Gmail with plaintext.  [ ... ]
>
> Is there anyone who has used a web mail client and had success, most
> details out there [ ... not for ] people with Work based mail accounts.

Dan,

  Guessing a bit, that sounds a lot like the problem I had:
 It was (and still is) impossible to use the company's SMTP
 MTA to send a patch (or even an acceptable list posting),
 even if the client (MUA) wasn't going to mess things up.

  But, if you have a Gmail account, it can be done!  In fact,
 that is what I'm doing to send this reply:  Using the MUA at
 the company, but *not* using the company's SMTP.  The secret
 is Gmail now has SMTP (and IMAP) support, as well as the POP
 support they've had for awhile.  You need to enable the SMTP
 for your Gmail account, and arrange for a non-corrupting MUA
 to use Gmail's SMTP, and (assuming your company's firewall
 et al. doesn't cause issues), things may just work.

Good luck & cheers!
        -blf-

--
“How many surrealists does it take to   | Brian Foster
 change a lightbulb? Three. One calms   | somewhere in south of France