Re: Adding(?) XI support to MIPS-Linux?

To: Brian Foster <>
Subject: Re: Adding(?) XI support to MIPS-Linux?
From: "Kevin D. Kissell" <>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 11:36:53 +0200
Cc:, David Daney <>, Thiemo Seufer <>, Andrew Dyer <>
Brian Foster wrote:
 Whilst thinking about the problem and possible solutions,
 it occurred to me there could be a defect in the current
 trampoline:  Suppose there is a signal, either at point A,
 due to <instr> itself, or at point B, which is caught on
 this stack, and the user-land signal-handler ‘return’s.

 Doesn't the signal-handler/sigreturn stack-frame overwrite
 the FP trampoline?   In which case, when the signal-hander
 returns, more-or-less anything could happen.  (And very
 unlikely to be what's wanted!)
When I first integrated the FP emulator into the kernel, back in 2.2.x, I seem to recall that someone found this problem and that I came up with a tweak to signal stack setup that protected the FP branch delay slot trampoline. Maybe I'm mistaken,
or maybe the tweak was lost?

         Kevin K.