Re: kexec on mips - anyone has it working?

To: Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo@wpkg.org>
Subject: Re: kexec on mips - anyone has it working?
From: Nicolas Schichan <nschichan@freebox.fr>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 13:47:04 +0200
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Tuesday 27 May 2008 20:14:11 you wrote:
> Aah, I see.
>
> Anyway, it doesn't work - with or without this slight change in
> machine_kexec.c, with kexec compiled from the sources in the link you
> gave or with kexec-tools-testing-20080324, it just doesn't work on
> BCM43XX with OpenWRT patches. At least on Asus WL-500gP.

I'm not familiar with broadcom CPU names, but isn't BCM43XX supposed
to be a Wifi chipset ? :)

However,  could   you  kexec   a  kernel  from   a  kernel   that  has
CONFIG_MIPS_UNCACHED  set (under  "Kernel  hacking", "run  uncached")?
this will slow down the kernel that does the kexec, but if this works,
then it is most probably a cache problem.

Could you also indicate the last lines of kernel messages just before
the "Bye." ?

Are you trying to kexec a big kernel image ? how much RAM do you have
on the board ? are there some hardware that could have a hard time to
be re-probed by the kexeced linux kernel ?

Regards,

--
Nicolas Schichan