Re: kexec on mips - anyone has it working?

To: Nicolas Schichan <nschichan@freebox.fr>
Subject: Re: kexec on mips - anyone has it working?
From: Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo@wpkg.org>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 14:16:23 +0200
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Nicolas Schichan schrieb:
On Tuesday 27 May 2008 20:14:11 you wrote:
Aah, I see.

Anyway, it doesn't work - with or without this slight change in
machine_kexec.c, with kexec compiled from the sources in the link you
gave or with kexec-tools-testing-20080324, it just doesn't work on
BCM43XX with OpenWRT patches. At least on Asus WL-500gP.

I'm not familiar with broadcom CPU names, but isn't BCM43XX supposed
to be a Wifi chipset ? :)

Well, yeah, indeed the device is sold as a wireless router. But it can perfectly run Debian, so it should run kexec as well, shouldn't it? ;)

However,  could   you  kexec   a  kernel  from   a  kernel   that  has
CONFIG_MIPS_UNCACHED  set (under  "Kernel  hacking", "run  uncached")?
this will slow down the kernel that does the kexec, but if this works,
then it is most probably a cache problem.

Could you also indicate the last lines of kernel messages just before
the "Bye." ?

I'll try that later today and will post the results.

Are you trying to kexec a big kernel image ?

Hmm, is it big? It's the same kernel I booted:

# ls -l vmlinux
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3868065 May 26 23:30 vmlinux

how much RAM do you have
on the board ?

It has 32 MB RAM; some ~11 MB is used before I load another kernel.

are there some hardware that could have a hard time to
be re-probed by the kexeced linux kernel ?

The kexeced kernel is the same one I booted, so no.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org