Enabling JFFS as Root FS

Subject: Enabling JFFS as Root FS
From: "Ramgopal Kota" <>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 08:58:47 -0700

Currently I am having a kernel 2.6.14 with INIT_RAMFS and it is using
cpio archive to create the nodes and rootfs.

Now I want to have the rootfs (jffs) on flash. Is there any document
which tells me how to do that ?

I did the following ..

I created the rootfs directory say "embeddedroot" structure except /dev
directory and ran mkfs.jffs2 on "embeddedroot".

The .jffs2 image is loaded onto flash at the correct offset pointed in
the MTD partition structure as mtdblock2.

My basic doubt is , how the kernel will create a node in /dev in the
above case ? or is there any other way to make jffs as rootfs.

I am missing some thing , I will be glad if someone points me that.

Ramgopal Kota