Re: ext4dev build failure on mips: "empty_zero_page" undefined

To: Dmitri Vorobiev <>
Subject: Re: ext4dev build failure on mips: "empty_zero_page" undefined
From: Ralf Baechle <>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 05:50:29 +0100
Cc: Theodore Tso <>, Martin Michlmayr <>,,
On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 06:46:21PM +0400, Dmitri Vorobiev wrote:

> >  What is the Linux-mips' team preference for feeding this patch to
> >  Linus?  This technically isn't a regression, since it was broken in
> >  2.6.25, but it would be nice to get this to Linus sooner rather than
> >  later.  Should I push it with a batch of ext4 fixes, or do you want to
> >  push it via the mips tree?  (Davem asked me to push the sparc export
> >  via ext4, while the ppc arch, it went via the ppc tree.  So whichever
> >  is your preference; I'm easy.  :-)
> >
> >                                             - Ted
> Hi Ted,
> Normally I push my patches via the mips tree, and now I'm Cc:ing Ralf for
> that.
> Hopefully Ralf will react quickly. :)

I prefer to do it myself so I can apply it at the same time to the MIPS
-stable branches.

I'm a little irriated that this thread seems to be only about
empty_zero_page but apparently not zero_page_mask?  empty_zero_page is
actualy an array of pages on MIPS and ZERO_PAGE() will pick the right one
for a particular user space mapping based on the virtual address but
ZERO_PAGE() also references zero_page_mask.  So I sense more brokenness