Re: Building current kernel for Qemu

To: David Daney <>
Subject: Re: Building current kernel for Qemu
From: Thiemo Seufer <>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 00:08:44 +0100
David Daney wrote:
> I would like to build a current kernel for mipsel on qemu.  However it
> seems that the qemu target was recently removed.
> I tried building a plain malta kernel vmlinux, but there is no output on
> the console when trying to boot it.  The Debian 2.6.18 qemu kernel seems
> to work well though.
> Do you have to do anything special to the kernel to run on qemu?

Nothing special is needed for the kernel. You need to start with
e.g. "qemu-system-mipsel -M malta" to select Qemu's malta machine

> How does one go about building a kernel for qemu from current kernel
> sources?

The special qemu kernel is now deprecated, as the malta kernel is a
full replacement which corresponds better to real existing hardware.

This is btw. also true for Qemu itself, the mips_r4k machine is still
there because
 a) uBoot supports it as the only mips Qemu target
 b) Some out-of-tree machine definitions use it as a baseline