Re: Patches for 34K APRP

To: "Kevin D. Kissell" <kevink@mips.com>
Subject: Re: Patches for 34K APRP
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 13:10:01 +0100
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 03:42:48PM +0200, Kevin D. Kissell wrote:

> Sigh.  Some mailers (including Thunderbird for Windows)
> seem to be unable to handle the attachment of the patch
> files by Thunderbird.  So I attach them as a .tgz, which
> even Outlook should be able to deal with correctly.

With the kernel maintainers head hidden for a moment - the attachments
certainly were ok, I was able to feed them to patch and had no problems
applying them.

With the kernel maintainers hat firmly back on the head:

 o git will use the Subject: line followed by the body followed by the
   attachment's leading comment as the commit message for the patch.
   Anything after a "---" tearoff line such a signature will be dropped.
   For the submitter that means to ensure only things that are meant to
   go into the log should be before the tearoff line.
 o As the result of this method git will only be able to handle a single
   patch per email.  But that's not a problem anyway.  Patches are meant
   to be easily discussable by email and that's best done with a single
   patch per mail.

I'm going to send comments on the actual patch by separate email.