max_pfn: Uninitialized, or Deprecated?

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: max_pfn: Uninitialized, or Deprecated?
From: "Kevin D. Kissell" <kevink@mips.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 10:33:13 +0200
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Once upon a time, the global max_pfn value was set up as part of
bootmem_init(), but this seems to have been dropped in favor of
establishing max_low_pfn, I suppose to be clear that it's the max
non-highmem PFN.  However, the global max_pfn gets used in
the MIPS APRP support code,  and also in places like
block/blk-settings.c.  Is the use of max_pfn supposed to be
deprecated, such that we consider blk-settings.c to be broken
and change arch/mips/kernel/vpe.c to use max_low_pfn, or
ought we assign  max_pfn = max_low_pfn in bootmem_init()?

I'm going to try the later for my own experimental purposes,
but won't propose a patch until I have a better understanding
of why things changed.

         Regards,

         Kevin K.