Re: SB1250 locking up in init on current 2.6.16 kernel

To: Larry Stefani <>
Subject: Re: SB1250 locking up in init on current 2.6.16 kernel
From: Ralf Baechle <>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 20:33:11 +0000
On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 07:00:15AM -0700, Larry Stefani wrote:

> I've been trying to upgrade from to
>, but am seeing a hard lockup right before
> "INIT: version 2.78 booting" on my SB1250-based board.
> I found a related discussion on the Debian mailing
> list:
> However, after applying Thiemo's patch to mark pages
> tainted by PIO IDE as dirty, the lockup still occurs.

It's a bug which should be fixed but nevertheless I can highly recommend
something like a SiliconImage SATA controller - the onboard PIO PATA
controller is so slow.

> I narrowed the file changes to
>      arch/mips/mm/c-sb1.c
>      arch/mips/mm/cache.c
>      arch/mips/mm/init.c
>      include/asm-mips/cache-flush.h
>      include/asm-mips/page.h
> between and  There was no
> tarball posted on, so I
> basically brought .27 to .29 until I found the
> offending files.

I've pushed the tag again so now there is a tarball.

If you need to track something like this you're probably best with
git bisect which should bring you right to the offending commit.

> Is anyone running a 2.6.16 kernel (after on
> a SB1250-based board?

Later kernels do run on bcm1480 which is close enough.