Re: MIPS prelink question

To: Hiroki Kaminaga <kaminaga@sm.sony.co.jp>
Subject: Re: MIPS prelink question
From: Thiemo Seufer <ths@networkno.de>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 11:19:15 +0000
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Hiroki Kaminaga wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm not sure if this is the right ML to ask, but since I've found
> discussion about MIPS prelink here, I'm posting here...

The binutils list would be a better place.

> In the below thread, patch for MIPS prelink was posted.
> http://www.linux-mips.org/archives/linux-mips/2006-11/msg00034.html
>
> I've tried this patch, but I got below error when I tried to do prelink.
>
>       No space in ELF segment table to add new ELF segment

A bit more of the output would help with isolating the problem.
Anyway, IIRC there are two effects which cause this error:
 - Linking in binary objects which were built by a toolchain without
   prelink support, probably one of the compiler-internal startup files.
 - Use of an older version on binutils (from the time when the prelink
   patches went in), which still had a few issues with handling the
   additional segment.

> On the montavista pro 5.0 note, I found that they have fixed above
> prelink error, but I could not find the patch. Could someone give
> me pointer to address this issue?

I believe binutils 2.18 works fine WRT prelinking. I don't remember
the particular patches to watch out for, though.

Thiemo