Kernel mode-setting and PCI video on MIPS?

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: Kernel mode-setting and PCI video on MIPS?
From: sknauert@wesleyan.edu
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 00:42:39 +0100 (CET)
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
I saw some of the recent work in trying to get graphics setup out of the X
server and into the kernel. I was wondering if that work (which is planned
for 2.6.26) would mean that any card with a supported kernel part could
then be used by an X server that supported the new kernel API.

Also, since this mode-setting directly addresses the hardware and does not
rely on BIOS, if this means it would effectively be cross-platform (or at
least easily portable).