Re: Move arch/mips/philips to arch/mips/nxp

To: Daniel Laird <>
Subject: Re: Move arch/mips/philips to arch/mips/nxp
From: Ralf Baechle <>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 09:42:40 +0000
On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 10:50:53AM +0000, Daniel Laird wrote:

> This patch moves arch/mips/philips to arch/mips/nxp
> It also modifies a couple of places from Philips -> nxp for more consistancy.
> This is in preparation for a new set of chip patches coming soon.
> The patch has no other work in in it is primarily a move of current
> code to a new location.
> Have run and there are many problems with the patch.
> However none of these are new and are already existing issues in the code
> base.
> A new patch (to be posted later) will clean up some of these as well.

That's fine.  It's actually prefered to post large scale code movments
and functional changes or other cleanups as separate changes.  Otherwise
it's hard to spot the functional changes in the amalgated mega-patch.

I didn't apply the patch though because several segments of it reject
when applied to top of the latest tree.  The patch headers suggest you
did create the patch against  With a diff of 48MB between and head of tree such a patch is bound to fail.  Anyway, can
you respin the patch against head?

Other nits - please include a Signed-off-by: header, see
Documentation/SubmittingPatches for what it means.  And unless your
mail client does things such as breaking long lines or converting tabs to
spaces please send patches inline.

The usual pointer here: