Re: Linux MIPS PCI resource sanity check

To: Michael Buesch <>
Subject: Re: Linux MIPS PCI resource sanity check
From: Sergei Shtylyov <>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 13:49:56 +0300
Michael Buesch wrote:

There's a sanity check in pcibios_enable_resources() that looks like this:

        r = &dev->resource[idx];
        if (!r->start && r->end) {
                printk(KERN_ERR "PCI: Device %s not available because of resource
collisions\n", pci_name(dev));
                return -EINVAL;

What is this check actually doing?

It makes sure that a PCI resource is allocated (base of 0 means that it's unallocated due to previously detected resource conlict (or some other reason).

It triggers for me on a BCM4318 device which is behind a BCM4710 PCI bridge.
r->start is 0 and r->end is 0x1FFF when this triggers.
If I simply comment out that check the device is detected correctly
and seems to initialize just fine.

   No, that failnig resource should be relocated.

WBR, Sergei