Re: General info on kernel status for vr4121/MobilePro 780

To: ben@hodgens.net
Subject: Re: General info on kernel status for vr4121/MobilePro 780
From: Ricardo Mendoza <ricmm@cantv.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 20:38:29 -0400
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Ben Hodgens wrote:
> I'm attempting build a system around an NEC MobilePro 780, and as there
> does not appear to be full support (ie, can't seem to get a kernel to
> boot) in either the current 2.4 or 2.6 kernel trees.
>
> Here's what I've found and tried so far:
>
> * The Linux VR project's "latest" kernel, circa 2001 or something like
> that - linux-vr-0.1.1.tar.bz2. This does not actually have an option for
> the MobilePro 780 in the kernel config, though there is the 770.
> * The kernel on http://www.handhelds.org/moin/moin.cgi/NecMobilePro780.
> This one -appears- to be the most complete I've found with regard to the
> 780; however, the tree is a 2.3 base (2.3.99 or something like that, I
> think), and not only pretty damn old, but I'm having a difficult time
> building it with the MIPS Technologies toolchain as a result. (Nothing I
> think I won't be able to figure out eventually - just makefile issues -
> but I don't want to persue it too much if there's a better alternative
> to start with). Additionally, this page has a binary kernel (and rootfs)
> which boots, but it doesn't boot with either a Debian sarge or etch
> bootstrap-installed rootfs (this is probably related to devfs, Ithink).
> * Both the latest 2.4 and 2.6 kernels don't have explicit support for
> the MP. I don't know where to go from here to where I want to go, though
> if there's nothing current in the current trees, I figure I'll learn to
> port drivers (provided I can figure which is the current latest support
> for the MP).
>
> So I'm asking: does anyone know where else I might look? If there is no
> current kernel tree which builds, does anyone know where the
> current/most up-to-date device support for the MobilePro is kept, or in
> which kernel it's in?

Current l-m.o tree has vr41xx support thanks to Yoichi, that's the best
starting point. But as you said, support for the board itself is not
there as a whole, there were some drivers for kbd/tpanel/fb around from
an old project (not linux-vr), just gotta look for them.

Afterwards, just mix the ingredients and bake the pie.

     Ricardo