Re: Tester with IP27/IP30 needed

To: Thomas Bogendoerfer <>
Subject: Re: Tester with IP27/IP30 needed
From: Ralf Baechle <>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 13:53:00 +0000
On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 01:11:45PM +0000, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> > we are facing a strange problem with lenny/sid chroots on IP28. The
> > machine locks up after issuing a few ls/ps commands in a chroot
> > bash. This only happens with a lenny/sid chroot, but not with etch.
> > The major difference is probably the updare to glibc2.7. Since
> > IP28 isn't really a nice R10k machine, it would be good, if someone
> > with a working IP27/IP30 could try a lenny/sid chroot and tell us,
> > if it's working/not working.
> Which CPU revision do you hit these problems on?

On IRC Thomas said it's rev 2.5.

R10000 upto version 2.6 has a broken store conditional so needs
R10000_LLSC_WAR enabled.  The sympthom is that SC succeed even though
it should have failed so for example two multiple competing CPUs can
take a spinlock.  There is an erratum for this one.

Another bug is when a rdhwr $29 opcode is encountered in a branch delay
slot.  This will result in the CPU stopping execution of instructions
but an NMI can recover it.  For emulation performance reasons gcc no
longer places rdhwr $29 in delay slots, so this one is no longer
encountered in C code but still could be in assembler code.  This one
isn't covered by any errata.

There seem to be more funnies but to the best I can say they were never
officially documented in errata either.