Re: Linux mips and DMA

To: Jon Dufresne <>
Subject: Re: Linux mips and DMA
From: Ralf Baechle <>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 13:46:34 +0000
On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 08:30:16AM -0500, Jon Dufresne wrote:

> > MIPS hardware is different so pci_alloc_consistent is implemented
> > differently.  For correct use however this should not matter.  Any bugs
> > you may find porting to MIPS were already bugs on x86.
> >
> > (Or in pci_alloc_consistent but I'm optimistic ;-)
> Is there a chance that my platform does not support coherent DMA
> mappings? Or is this unheard of for a MIPs platform?

Hardware coherency for DMA is the exception for low-end embedded MIPS
systems andgiven the CPU address your's is no exception from that.

If your system was supporting hardware coherency for DMA I/O you would
have obtained a cachable CPU address like:

  dma_handle=0x026f0000 size=0x00010000 cpu_addr=0x826f0000

A 0x8??????? would be in KSEG0 so cachable.

What hardware are you using anyway?