BUG: BUS error while returning from read() in /dev/oprofile/buffer

To: <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>, "Ralf Baechle" <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Subject: BUG: BUS error while returning from read() in /dev/oprofile/buffer
From: "Anirban Sinha" <ASinha@zeugmasystems.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 17:18:01 -0800
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org

Hi:

I have been trying to hunt down this bug for several days now. What mainly happens is that when oprofiled wakes up from read() in /dev/oprofile/buffer on receiving a signal USR1 (i.e, when someone does opcontrol –start after doing opcontrol—start-daemon), it somehow gets SIGBUS within glibc read().  We are using a mips machine with Sybyte SB1 processor. On intel, this error does not show up. Interestingly, when I tried running a small test program that simply reads /dev/oprofile/buffer, the error can’t be reproduced!

Ralf and others, any insights, suggestions or useful comments from experience will be really really appreciated. I am spending a lot of time trying to fix this bug.

Cheers,

Ani