Re: Rename Sibyte duart devices?

To: Ralf Baechle <>
Subject: Re: Rename Sibyte duart devices?
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 14:18:35 +0000 (GMT)
On Mon, 3 Dec 2007, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> Devices created by udev have been named duart? instead of the common
> ttyS?.  This is a nuisance because it requires changes to all sorts of
> config files such as /etc/inittab, /etc/securetty etc. to work.  I
> suggest to kill the problem by the root by something like the below
> patch.  Comments?

 Well, there is no problem with naming your device nodes in the filesystem
however you like and the only place that only cares is the "console="
command line option.  I think the root is ttyS devices should really be
only used for 8250-based devices and if you plug a standard PC serial
option card into one of the PCI slots, then all the hell will break loose.
I might be wrong though and the issue I am referring to may have gone now.