Re: Cannot unwind through MIPS signal frames with ICACHE_REFILLS_WORKARO

To: "Kevin D. Kissell" <>
Subject: Re: Cannot unwind through MIPS signal frames with ICACHE_REFILLS_WORKAROUND_WAR
From: "Franck Bui-Huu" <>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 15:49:16 +0100
Cc: "Ralf Baechle" <>, "Andrew Haley" <>, "David Daney" <>,, "Richard Sandiford" <>,
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=yf4RU0KmsKQvklRVXHk4ecXqABOIXjXK9TqO0vcmzwk=; b=tjIe/iLwc+BCiUM40lr6eDOfv9Ug3axzAeJMWCJGMlsexGtxNJvrBtcKGfAzIZc/KZ3N6n1qlUqYnV8eazvC8Om7yGX8xzTDN0awJqjBQU4QySU6N0zYnLEF3PcF+R2+Ib6S8Wod/yjSBQD+lZtsaz5VU4rTvYCQf6SDOsDcdG4=
On Nov 13, 2007 3:37 PM, Kevin D. Kissell <> wrote:
> Franck a dit:
> > > Another reason is to get rid of the classic trampoline the kernel installs
> > > on the stack.  On some multiprocessor systems it requires a cacheflush
> > > operation to be performed on all processors which is expensive.  Having
> > > the trampoline in a vDSO would solve that.
> > >

> > And the stack wouldn't need to have exec permission anymore.
> True, though it should perhaps be noted that currently it's only on 4KSc/Sd
> systems (which I know you work on) where it's even possible for the stack
> *not* to have exec permissions, since the classical MIPS MMU gives
> execute permission to any page that is readable.

Well, the noexec stack is pretty usefull I think. I can't believe it
will be limited to these 2 systems in the near future...