Re: Oops with kernel 2.6.8

To: kalyan tejaswi <kalyanatejaswi@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Oops with kernel 2.6.8
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 12:57:53 +0000
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 11:15:51AM +0530, kalyan tejaswi wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am using Malta-4Kc with kernel 2.6.8(from linux-mips.org) compiled with
> gcc 3.4.4.
>
> I can not boot over NFS.
>
> The console log is attached.
>
> Any hints are greatly appreciated.

2.6.8 is really old, over 3 years now.  So forgive if memory of the bugs
in that kernel is fading.  I think the one you're seeing was was caused
by memory prefetching beyond the end of memory.  The easy fix is to disable
prefetching.  See a  modern memcpy for how to do that.  There are several
other interesting issues hidden in 2.6.8 so I think you really should
upgrade.