Re: Oops with kernel 2.6.8

To: kalyan tejaswi <>
Subject: Re: Oops with kernel 2.6.8
From: Ralf Baechle <>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 12:57:53 +0000
On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 11:15:51AM +0530, kalyan tejaswi wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am using Malta-4Kc with kernel 2.6.8(from compiled with
> gcc 3.4.4.
> I can not boot over NFS.
> The console log is attached.
> Any hints are greatly appreciated.

2.6.8 is really old, over 3 years now.  So forgive if memory of the bugs
in that kernel is fading.  I think the one you're seeing was was caused
by memory prefetching beyond the end of memory.  The easy fix is to disable
prefetching.  See a  modern memcpy for how to do that.  There are several
other interesting issues hidden in 2.6.8 so I think you really should