Re: 2.4.24-rc1 does not boot on SGI

To: Martin Michlmayr <tbm@cyrius.com>
Subject: Re: 2.4.24-rc1 does not boot on SGI
From: Giuseppe Sacco <giuseppe@eppesuigoccas.homedns.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 09:41:46 +0100
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Il giorno mar, 30/10/2007 alle 09.31 +0100, Martin Michlmayr ha scritto:
> * Giuseppe Sacco <giuseppe@eppesuigoccas.homedns.org> [2007-10-27 09:07]:
> > The new kernel once again does not boot on SGI O2. What happens is that
> > arcboot write its messages and nothing more is displayed on the screen.
> > The last message is "Starting ELF64 kernel". The previous running kernel
> > were 2.6.23 from linux-mips.org and 2.6.23.1 from kernel.org.
>
> I can confirm that currnt git doesn't boot (no message on the serial
> console at all).  However, I'm curious to know whether 2.6.23 is
> working properly for you (and, if so, can you send me your .config).
[...]

my config file for 2.6.23.1 from kernel.org is
http://eppesuigoccas.homedns.org/~giuseppe/debian/sgi-mips-config-2.6.23.1-gs2.bz2

currently open points:

1. serial line does not work
2. cat /proc/self/cmdline ends in kernel oops
3. writing on USB block devices through a PCI-to-PCI does not work
4. XFS kernel module is missing 32bit ioctl and cannot talk with xfsdump
nor xfsrestore

I am currently investigating on 1. and 3.