Re: 2.4.24-rc1 does not boot on SGI

To: Giuseppe Sacco <giuseppe@eppesuigoccas.homedns.org>
Subject: Re: 2.4.24-rc1 does not boot on SGI
From: Martin Michlmayr <tbm@cyrius.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 09:31:07 +0100
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
* Giuseppe Sacco <giuseppe@eppesuigoccas.homedns.org> [2007-10-27 09:07]:
> The new kernel once again does not boot on SGI O2. What happens is that
> arcboot write its messages and nothing more is displayed on the screen.
> The last message is "Starting ELF64 kernel". The previous running kernel
> were 2.6.23 from linux-mips.org and 2.6.23.1 from kernel.org.

I can confirm that currnt git doesn't boot (no message on the serial
console at all).  However, I'm curious to know whether 2.6.23 is
working properly for you (and, if so, can you send me your .config).
For me, it stops after printing

Freeing unused kernel memory: 268k freed

but then I can still hear it doing something and after a minute or so
I see:

Adding 131064k swap on /dev/sda2.  Priority:-1 extents:1 across:131064k
EXT3 FS on sda1, internal journal

and later:

gbefb: wait for vpixen_off timed out

and then I gave up and went to bed. ;-)