Re: 2.6.24-rc1: au1xxx and clocksource

To: Manuel Lauss <mano@roarinelk.homelinux.net>
Subject: Re: 2.6.24-rc1: au1xxx and clocksource
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 18:59:14 +0100
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 08:31:35PM +0200, Manuel Lauss wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> > So time to check how your favorite platform is doing and fix what broke!
>
> I let it loose on my Au1200, but unfortunately the new time code is b0rked
> ina way I don't understand.
>
> Following call chain:
>
> start_kernel()
>  time_init()
>   init_mips_clocksource()
>   mips_clockevent_init()
>    clockevents_register_device()
>     clockevents_do_notify()
>      notifier_call_chain():
>
>       It dies here, line 69, in kernel/notifier.c:
>       ret = nb->notifier_call(nb, val, v);

What sort of death?  Please describe all sympthoms of the patient.

> Maybe my debug method is faulty (homebrew putstring() with au1200 uart
>  banging) but the last debug output is before this line.

It is consistent with another bug report on IP27.

The function tick_notify has been installed as notifier, so that is what
I think nb->notifier_call() should be pointing at.  So it should be
called like this:

  tick_notify(&tick_notifier, CLOCK_EVT_NOTIFY_ADD, dev)

So things are likely going wrong somewhere in there.