Re: Updated:Error opening framebuffer device/Unknown symbol

To: kaka <share.kt@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Updated:Error opening framebuffer device/Unknown symbol
From: Markus Gothe <markus.gothe@27m.se>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 17:56:30 +0200
Cc: directfb-users@directfb.org, directfb-dev@directfb.org, linux-mips@linux-mips.org, uclinux-dev@uclinux.org, linux-fbdev-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org

You cannot use libc-stuff for the kernel, use the kernel equalients...

//Markus

kaka wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Thanks for the overhelming responses.
> I was able to remove the problem of Unknown symbols by linking the
> proper libraries. Now the problem got reduced to the following messages.
>
> # insmod brcmstfb.ko
> brcmstfb: Unknown symbol printf
> brcmstfb: Unknown symbol malloc
> brcmstfb: Unknown symbol free
> insmod: cannot insert `brcmstfb.ko': Unknown symbol in module (2):
> No such file or directory
> #
>
> for the above problem i had tried to link "libgcc.a " but those
> symbols are also undefined in it also.
> RECAP:
> While running  the cross compiled directFB example on MIPS chip,*
> We tried to install the framebuffer driver(command given
> above) after creating the node fb0.
> APPROACH:
> Actually the code of frambuffer driver consists of usual kernel
> framebuffer code and properitiary graphics lib code.
> The properitiary graphics lib code is using malloc,print and free
> from <stdlib.h> and that is why those symbols are coming undefined.
>
> Could anybody help in this regard?
> Thanks in advance.
>
> kaka

bottom) and we have already created the node fb0. *

>     * We are getting the following error,  *
>

>     * Can anybody help in this regard ? *
>
>     * Thanks in Advance. *
>
>     # ../../cross_directfb/simple_mips
>

>          =======================|  DirectFB 1.0.0  |=======================
>               (c) 2001-2007  The DirectFB Organization (directfb.org
<http://directfb.org/>)
>               (c) 2000-2004  Convergence (integrated media) GmbH
>             ------------------------------------------------------------
>

>     (*) DirectFB/Core: Single Application Core. (2007-10-05 14:17)
>     (!) Direct/Util: opening '/dev/fb0' failed
>         --> No such device or address
>     (!) DirectFB/FBDev: Error opening framebuffer device!
>     (!) DirectFB/FBDev: Use 'fbdev' option or set FRAMEBUFFER
environment variable.
>     (!) DirectFB/Core: Could not initialize 'system' core!
>         --> Initialization error!
>     simple.c <96>:
>             (#) DirectFBError [DirectFBCreate (&dfb)]: Initialization
error!
>     #
>
>     * While running the following command in MIPS chip, we are getting
the following error. *

>     # insmod brcmstfb.ko
>     brcmstfb: Unknown symbol unregister_framebuffer
>     brcmstfb: Unknown symbol printf
>     brcmstfb: Unknown symbol malloc
>     brcmstfb: Unknown symbol fb_find_mode
>     brcmstfb: Unknown symbol fb_dealloc_cmap
>     brcmstfb: Unknown symbol fb_alloc_cmap
>     brcmstfb: Unknown symbol framebuffer_release
>     brcmstfb: Unknown symbol free
>     insmod: cannot insert `brcmstfb.ko': Unknown symbol in module (2):
No such file or directory
>     #
>     #
>

> --
> Thanks & Regards,
> kaka
>
> --
> Thanks & Regards,
> kaka

- --

Mr Markus Gothe
Software Engineer

Phone: +46 (0)13 21 81 20 (ext. 1046)
Fax: +46 (0)13 21 21 15
Mobile: +46 (0)73 718 72 80
Diskettgatan 11, SE-583 35 Linköping, Sweden
www.27m.com