Re: [patch 1/2] rtc: release correct region in error path

To: Bjorn Helgaas <bjorn.helgaas@hp.com>
Subject: Re: [patch 1/2] rtc: release correct region in error path
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 16:12:50 +0100
Cc: Alessandro Zummo <a.zummo@towertech.it>, Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org>, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org, linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 02:48:44PM -0600, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:

> Subject: [patch 1/2] rtc: release correct region in error path
>
> The misc_register() error path always released an I/O port region,
> even if the region was memory-mapped (only mips uses memory-mapped RTC,
> as far as I can see).

Well, MIPS just like other sane architectures has no concept of ioports.
So if there ever is something that's called an ioport on MIPS then it's
really a memory location in a memory address range where other PCish
devices are living, too.  So typically those memory addresses are
translated to an actual ioport access by a PCI bridge.  There are a few
systems where this concept just apply easily such as DECstations, so
there we simply claim the device such as the RTC in this case is memory
mapped.

Anway:

Acked-by: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>