paging problem with ide-cs driver

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: paging problem with ide-cs driver
From: Andrew Sharp <andy.sharp@onstor.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 13:26:57 -0700
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
I'm having a problem with paging through the ide-cs driver.  As best
I can tell right now, the kernel thinks the data is present and valid
when it actually isn't.  This is lmo 2.6.22.3, on a sibyte 1125H, but
I had the same problem with 2.6.20.something on an R9k based machine.

I can make a filesystem (ext3) on the CF card, mount it, read and write
to it.  But I can't chroot to it, can't set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to it,
can't use it as the root filesystem.

The chroot failure is the most telling.  When I try to chroot to it, I
get various segfault, bus error, illegal instruction, etc.  But if I
continue to try it, after 10-12 tries, it succeeds.  This tells me
that the data eventually arrives, it's just that the kernel tries to
use a page before the data is valid.

Before I dive into this, does any of this ring a bell for anyone?
I'm using the ide-cs driver, TI yenta cardbus adapter driver, and sibyte
everything else.

I can provide kernel output if anyone is interested in that.  But there
isn't any kernel output when the failure occurs, the thread just dies
with one of the various mentioned errors.

coolcat:~# cat /etc/fstab
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
10.0.0.42:/var/nfsroot/cougar / nfs defaults 0 0
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults,size=12m 0 0
coolcat:~# chroot /mnt
Illegal instruction
coolcat:~# chroot /mnt