unresoved symbol _gp_disp

To: linux-mips <>, "" <>
Subject: unresoved symbol _gp_disp
From: veerasena reddy <>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 11:12:16 +0100 (BST)

  I am using buildroot to build toolchain (GCC ver
3.4.3, binutil-1.15 and ucLibc-0.9.28, linux-2.6.18
kernel) for MIPS processor with soft float option

I have written a loadble module ( which gets complied
along with kernel) which does some floating point
When i try to load the module i get the following
"unresoved symbol _gp_disp".
below is from MIPS FAQ which also doesn't help:

Insmod complains about the _gp_disp symbol being
_gp_disp is a magic symbol used with PIC code on MIPS.
Be happy, this error message saved you from crashing
your system. You should use the same compiler options
to compile a kernel module as the kernel makefiles do.
In particular the options -mno-pic -mno-abicalls -G 0
are important.
In fact i tried with -mno-abicalls -fno-pic  compiler
options still i see the same problem.
Could you please give me some pointers on this issue.
BTW, How to compile libgcc.a with "-G 0" options.
In which file of buildroot i shoul added these options
to get effective.
Thanks in advance.

      Unlimited freedom, unlimited storage. Get it now, on