Re: What is the current state of the Octane/IP30 support?

To: Kumba <kumba@gentoo.org>
Subject: Re: What is the current state of the Octane/IP30 support?
From: "Ed Stafford" <ed.stafford@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 07:56:55 -0500
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=Vog8NQcvnqtL55mvMYvpNDHLvWw0uO8Z27PGwORJvR8=; b=RoiYGxZuWVtKka+QbGw+rD/LRDymQsjpdXstBtPhl0ZQlu6edgCabyFRyiz5r6LFCoHyXlCM/xf8kPn8r8IDVH6bVar+8LGz1g7hRviTwvr9RPPGgMV0QpoV6rMiam8HQUs5fFMuje7rXAEj4w4cCxO+Hl8z6HnHZAAzmW9E7eY=
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On 10/3/07, Kumba <kumba@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Right now, Gentoo does have the best support for them (mine is running
> 2.6.23-rc5 about 3.5ft from me as I type).  But I do believe the debian guys
> have been working on a debian install image for them too (tbm/ths, am I right
> on
> this?)
>
> For the most part, Impact-based systems run great.  You get X, unaccelerated,
> no
> 3D, and a framebuffer.  VPro, framebuffer, but no X.  USB kinda weorks if you
> have a PCI-Card Cage and a OHCI chipsets (UHCI is dead last I checked), and I
> think EHCI works fine.  Haven't tried much else beyond those PCI devices.

I had wondered about being able to use any PCI card in that cage..
I'll have to give that a shot.

> A lot of the other XIO Boards, outside of the Impact or Vpro boards, are
> wholly
> untested, and likely won't work at all.  Nor do I think dual head will work if
> you have a second Impact card kicking around.
>
> For gentoo, we have an "RC6" livecd.  I've played with building an RC7 several
> times, but that got sidetracked about 2-3 months ago.  I hope to resume work
> on
> it soon.  You can find that and the current netboots on your local gentoo
> mirror, in the experimental/mips sub-folders.
>
> Further gentoo questions regarding this system should be directed to the
> gentoo-mips ML; linux-mips here is more for distro-agnostic development.
>
> Have fun!  (and what Proc, btw?)

Single 195MHz.  I've been looking at a dual-360MHz, but it's tough to
win those auctions!

Ed