Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu and Linux 2.4

To: "Alexander Voropay" <alec@nwpi.ru>, qemu-devel@nongnu.org, openbios@openbios.org
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu and Linux 2.4
From: "Blue Swirl" <blauwirbel@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 20:12:41 +0300
Cc: "Thiemo Seufer" <ths@networkno.de>, linux-mips@linux-mips.org, vlad@comsys.ro
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=oIA4RpezcjjYispZdqOk9MOoCsAox347tWWZhHbpX+g=; b=SatBG0uJpZnR8xs8SLUIqpaD11To46PkGfoV6RXOaGDo/Pc+MrWbKifMHIjgxI8e9YWwQPtRP2boeIVDhYCV4bBb33Ifny9XBiOwBqXA94WJThOT4v3NsXqpeiybymIHpjSCMbf6uXq4N56aex+KAIXNXhbX6fsopC/oeOruPhc=
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On 9/26/07, Alexander Voropay <alec@nwpi.ru> wrote:

> >> Out of curiosity, what parts did you miss?
> > Like, for example, the PCI stuff. So I can use the network card.
>
>  PCI stuff in the QEMU/Malta works fine, but pseudo-bootrom
> does not perform PCI enumeration and leaves uninitialized PCI BARs.
>
>  Linux MIPS/Malta 2.4 can not perform PCI enumeration too.  The LANCE
> Ethernet driver *requres* a pre-initialized BARs. The situation even worse,
> since current Linux 2.4 can't be even built with NEW_PCI and PCI_AUTO
> options at all (due to linkage error).
>
> http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/PCI_Subsystem
>
>  There is the same PCI problem with NetBSD/evbmips and seems VxWorks/Malta.
>
> > And yes, I am aware of YAMON.
>
>  AFAIK, YAMON may runs on the MIPS hardware only, and may not
> be redistribuded in the source or binary form.
>
>  Anyway, YAMON binary does not work on the Qemu/Malta. The Galileo
> chip is far more complicated then Qemu emulation. It contains four DMA
> channels, four timers e.t.c. e.t.c.
>
> >> I recommend to improve the Qemu Malta emulation, and make it work with
> >> 2.4 Malta kernels. (ISTR it used to work, so it shouldn't need a lot to
> >> get there.)
> >
> > I'm sure that improving the Qemu Malta emulation is a very noble goal,
> > but for people that need a working 2.4 kernel NOW, my patch could be
> > useful. Having the QEMU target in 2.6 surely helped me.
>
>  The only thing we need is a good bootrom (BIOS) for the MIPS/Malta
> (Free-YAMON ;)

Someone could port OpenBIOS or LinuxBIOS to MIPS.