Re: CONFIG_BUILD_ELF64 broken on IP32 since 2.6.20

To: Atsushi Nemoto <>
Subject: Re: CONFIG_BUILD_ELF64 broken on IP32 since 2.6.20
From: Martin Michlmayr <>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 07:59:12 +0200
> > Subject: [MIPS] Fix CONFIG_BUILD_ELF64 kernels with symbols in CKSEG0.
> > Gitweb:
> It is just one liner and can be backported easily.

I put this into 2.6.22 and it works.  Thanks a lot for the link.

> I still think CONFIG_BUILD_ELF64=n is best choice.  You can get
> smaller and faster kernel with this.  Are there any reason to use
> CONFIG_BUILD_ELF64=y for IP32?

I don't know.  All I know is that it's enabled in the Debian kernel
for IP22 and IP32 and has broken the kernel.  Thiemo, do you remember
why this option is enabled in our kernels?

> (Note that CONFIG_BUILD_ELF64 and CONFIG_BOOT_ELF64 is separate
> thing.)

Yeah, I'm aware of this.  We want to keep CONFIG_BOOT_ELF64 but I'm
happy to turn CONFIG_BUILD_ELF64 off in the Debian kernel if Thiemo

Thanks for your response.
Martin Michlmayr