Re: CONFIG_BUILD_ELF64 broken on IP32 since 2.6.20

Subject: Re: CONFIG_BUILD_ELF64 broken on IP32 since 2.6.20
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 11:32:47 -0700 (PDT)
> IP32 kernels that are built with CONFIG_BUILD_ELF64=y only produce an
> exception when booted.  This worked with 2.6.19 and before.  I haven't
> had a chance to dig deep yet but it seems both Franck Bui-Huu and
> Atsushi Nemoto had patches in 2.6.20 that might have caused this.
> This still happens with 2.6.22.  I cannot boot current git for other
> reasons.
> If anyone has an idea which specific patch might have caused this,
> please let me know.  Otherwise I'll try to find time in the next few
> days to revert various patches.
> --
> Martin Michlmayr

Nice to know someone's still working on Linux on the O2. I can confirm
that its been broken, and I had believed I was even told why by Kumba

> One, make sure you're doing "make vmlinux.32", and two, CONFIG_BUILD_ELF64
> is
> _not_ enabled. For 2.6.20, I had to cram in a patch from Frank to get
> these
> things to not PROM crash (due to the elimination of CPHYSADDY and
> replacement by
> __pa()), but on 2.6.21, this patch was unnecessary.  Unsure about
> 2.6.22-rcX.

Anyway... sad to say this is a little beyond my understanding, but maybe
it can help you start hacking. For what its worth, I'll gladly test
patches on my O2s as I have an R5K 200 and RM7K 600.