Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu and Linux 2.4

To: Thiemo Seufer <ths@networkno.de>
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu and Linux 2.4
From: Vlad Lungu <vlad@comsys.ro>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 16:39:59 +0300
Cc: qemu-devel@nongnu.org, linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Thiemo Seufer wrote:
Vlad Lungu wrote:
I know some of you will laugh, but:

- QEMU malta emulation is not really complete, to put it mildly

Out of curiosity, what parts did you miss?

Like, for example, the PCI stuff. So I can use the network card.
And yes, I am aware of YAMON.

- the QEMU target is available only for Linux 2.6
- despite popular opinion, 2.4 ain't dead yet, at least in the embedded market

I have a port of the QEMU target for Linux 2.4.34.4 (latest 2.4 kernel on linux-mips.org), with NE2000 card working (in both BE and LE modes).
Still rough at the edges, but it works on stock qemu-0.9.0 with -M mips.

I recommend to improve the Qemu Malta emulation, and make it work with
2.4 Malta kernels. (ISTR it used to work, so it shouldn't need a lot to
get there.)

I'm sure that improving the Qemu Malta emulation is a very noble goal, but for people that need a working 2.4 kernel NOW, my patch could be useful. Having the QEMU target in 2.6 surely helped me.

Vlad