Re: Average number of instructions per line of kernel code

To: bamakhrama@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Average number of instructions per line of kernel code
From: "Jesper Juhl" <jesper.juhl@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 15:54:45 +0200
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; b=t00tLg4hanCCJpHrxNbTqYW3zXt14MbTqRQVns9XfzA/dIc1C+WrseF8yFGEm9m5zxFz9pYtkEEks/FzPnMMEpJlBvrk5zqsyjTnDGMiZ+AR5DZOU9DDY23Wb7bB3QA8MKGf8HBPN/px8TUKaOygXGaQ+w6a85BwvSu6bDUZ4HU=
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On 30/08/2007, Mohamed Bamakhrama <bamakhrama@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/30/07, Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 30/08/2007, Mohamed Bamakhrama <bamakhrama@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > > I have a question regarding the average number of assembly
> > > instructions per line of kernel code. I know that this is a difficult
> > > question since it depends on many factors such as the instruction set
> > > architecture, compiler used, optimizations used, type of code, coding
> > > style, etc...
> > > I would like to know a rough estimate for such a quantity for the
> > > kernel 2.4/2.6 code running on MIPS32 architecture.
> > > My estimate is between 5-10 instructions. I googled for such a thing
> > > but couldn't find any useful papers/resources.
> > >

> > Why don't you simply count the number of non-blank non-comment lines
> > in the source files that you are building, build the kernel and then
> > count the number of instructions in the resulting binary ?
>
> Hi,
> I agree with you but is there any way to include ALL the drivers in
> the kernel tree in building the image? Otherwise, I will be counting
> un-used lines.

make allyesconfig
make

--