Re: Average number of instructions per line of kernel code

To: "Jesper Juhl" <jesper.juhl@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Average number of instructions per line of kernel code
From: "Mohamed Bamakhrama" <bamakhrama@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 15:48:35 +0200
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:reply-to:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; b=DV87nQhNGoAfamAHCeiqQmtsgwKewKd4FmBCUHVRTkQjJmVPBmqxCqG88/JOBkXFpNN3flFu9YaZVuWJD7MLZYUZO/TonLQ5kyuJvHVrdqKHFinnyjo7cFpndYjc6IWjRHnSJEvX3/3T0kFbHK2h3Hdj6IqElngKLMkhVvuvMp4=
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On 8/30/07, Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30/08/2007, Mohamed Bamakhrama <bamakhrama@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I have a question regarding the average number of assembly
> > instructions per line of kernel code. I know that this is a difficult
> > question since it depends on many factors such as the instruction set
> > architecture, compiler used, optimizations used, type of code, coding
> > style, etc...
> > I would like to know a rough estimate for such a quantity for the
> > kernel 2.4/2.6 code running on MIPS32 architecture.
> > My estimate is between 5-10 instructions. I googled for such a thing
> > but couldn't find any useful papers/resources.
> >

> Why don't you simply count the number of non-blank non-comment lines
> in the source files that you are building, build the kernel and then
> count the number of instructions in the resulting binary ?

Hi,
I agree with you but is there any way to include ALL the drivers in
the kernel tree in building the image? Otherwise, I will be counting
un-used lines.

--
Mohamed