Re: [MIPS]mcheck error

To: POORNIMA R <rpoornar@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MIPS]mcheck error
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 16:54:04 +0100
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Thu, Aug 16, 2007 at 01:34:13PM +0000, POORNIMA R wrote:

> I am working on MIPS architecture and my kernel version
> is linux-2.6.10  and  I am a newbie to MIPS architecture.
> If I try inserting  any module (.ko), I get meck exception
> due to multiple matching entries in TLB

Linux 2.6.10 is now well over 2 1/2 years old so forgive if my memory
on bugs that can cause machine checks is fading a little.  You should
upgrade.  REALLY.

> 1. What is the reason for multiple enteries in TLB
> due to module insertion?

A machine check exception will be generated if during a TLB lookup (for
example during instruction fetch or loading/storing the data for a load
rsp. store instruction) multiple entries match.

> 2. Should the TLB operations be performed with interrupts disabled?

Yes; the kernel does so.

  Ralf

PS: Ditch that 2.6.10 antique!  It belongs into a vitrine in the
MIPSonian Institude, not a life a computer system :-)

PPS: Have you considered upgrading your kernel?