Re: cacheops.h & r4kcache.h

To: "Ralf Baechle" <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Subject: Re: cacheops.h & r4kcache.h
From: "Mohamed Bamakhrama" <bamakhrama@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 16:13:05 +0200
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:reply-to:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; b=pqng43wNFsEnd7MqbjrTdRIw8ueJGdyKf0sJZqTIb1NbNPK6o4Cghp/rQRu376r7tX/LUNDV6N8lpVv+f/r1oMPaEfAXpbR/PNwUbCL3/gmfq7tsWVDPVaUuCBiU0RptFfE82yBVwF2iHQgC39hSreQN3lz1RJ7HIwKJ0xICJ+o=
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On 8/1/07, Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 03:18:00PM +0200, Mohamed Bamakhrama wrote:
>
> > In those two header files, flush & invalidate operations were
> > implemented. Nevertheless, the MIPS32 core supports cache locking as
> > well. Is there any implementations for Fetch&Lock instructions within
> > the kernel?
>
> No.  The primary use for cache locking seems to be the rather extreme
> realtime requirements, a league where Linux isn't playing quite yet.
> For a more general purpose OS locking has a good chance of doing more
> harm than help.
>
>   Ralf

I agree with you that it fits more to real-time systems. My point was
that such a functionality can be added to the list of available macros
(i.e. Fetch, invalidate) so that when the developer (of an embedded
system for example) needs it, he/she can use it directly.

Is it possible to submit a patch which adds this functionality?

Regards,

--
Mohamed