Re: [MIPS] Workaround for a sparse warning in include/asm-mips/io.h

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: Re: [MIPS] Workaround for a sparse warning in include/asm-mips/io.h
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@linux-mips.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 15:47:04 +0100 (BST)
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Thu, 12 Jul 2007, linux-mips@linux-mips.org wrote:

> Author: Atsushi Nemoto <anemo@mba.ocn.ne.jp> Wed Jul 11 23:12:00 2007 +0900
> Comitter: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org> Thu Jul 12 14:39:44 2007 +0100
> Commit: 57be612bf3815728ad29f39a09a1c70d71bd279c
> Gitweb: http://www.linux-mips.org/g/linux/57be612b
> Branch: master
>
> CKSEG1ADDR() returns unsigned int value on 32bit kernel.  Cast it to

 This is not true.  With a 32-bit kernel CKSEG1ADDR(), quite
intentionally, returns a *signed* int.

 Since you have decided to fix the symptom rather than the bug I would at
least suggest to cast the result to "long" first and only then drop the
signedness.  Otherwise it looks misleading to a casual reader.

  Maciej